The 250 acre estate which lies in the midst of the stunning South Downs scenery has been the headquarters of the Augustinian Sisters since 1860. In 1868 the first Care Home was opened and the Sisters have been caring on the site ever since.
Over the years the original Care Home had been added to, resulting in a collection of buildings making up a total of 160 beds. By 2002 the Sisters had realised that their existing homes would no longer meet the new National Standards. They had to decide whether to stop caring or come up with a plan that would enable them to carry on their work. The Sisters decided to carry on, and wanted to provide more facilities to help an increased number of older people in the local community.
Sister Thomas (Superior General) commented “The idea of a retirement village evolved and it took 6 years for the planning to be agreed. Towards the end of the process we were lucky enough to have ex-Prime Minister Lord Callaghan back our cause”.
Work on the first phase finally started in 2006 with completion and the first residents moving in later in the year. The whole scheme was designed as a development that would fund the building of three new 60 bed Care Homes. These have been built on the site of old buildings to the south of the estate and offer state of the art facilities to those who require more comprehensive care. The reputation that the Sisters have built up over the years ensures that the homes run at capacity, however they are able to give residents of the village priority should they ever need the additional care.
The Sisters themselves have remained in the Convent which is located on the edge of the village, and are extremely happy in their newly refurbished residence.
The village is now complete with a total of 240 apartments along with extensive facilities, reflecting the successful culmination of the Sisters vision and continuation of their Ethos of Care and Hospitality.
For information about our care homes, click here